The Commonwealth Lawyers Association (CLA) is supported by professional lawyers, academics and students practising within the Commonwealth.
Together we promote and maintain the rule of law throughout the Commonwealth by ensuring that an independent and efficient legal profession serves the people of the Commonwealth.
CLA seeks to uphold the rule of law by encouraging exchanges between members of the profession, through projects, conferences and workshops, and by driving improvements in legal education.
CLA regularly engages with other Commonwealth organisations on Commonwealth working groups and projects, and is an accredited partner organisation of the official Commonwealth.
“We have taken great care to deliver a new membership proposition that delivers an increasing focus on assisting our members to connect with one another around the Commonwealth; support us more actively in our goals surrounding our projects; and finally, in better engaging on key topics which impact on our mission to promote and maintain the rule of law throughout the Commonwealth.”
|Full Membership||Institution / Corporate Membership||Newsletter Sign-Up|
|Assocation News||Limited Access|
|Event Invitations & Event Discounted Rates||Limited Access|
|Articles & Insight Reports Daily association and Hub updates||Limited to 1 post per day|
|Post Comments & Share Thoughts Comment On topic threads or articles and other post|
|Public Profile Create a full professional profile to share and help connect with others||Limited Profile|
|Connections Ability to form valuable and influential connections with other full members from around the Commonwealth|
|Contribute Ability to contribute custom or exsting articles|
|Offers & Discounts Relevant discounts and offers available exclusively to CLA membes|
|Developing Country||Developed Country|
|Student||£15 p/a||£20 p/a|
|Recently Qualified*||£35 p/a||£40 p/a|
|Full Membership||£80 p/a||£80 p/a|
* (Within 7 Years of Call)
Now available as group memberships, giving you better value and better access to the benefits of CLA for your members.
Through the revenue we are able to raise in sponsorships we are offering grants towards group memberships for firms, academic institutions, Law Societies & Bar Associations from throughout the Commonwealth.
|Group Size||Discount||Group Annual Cost|
|Up to 5 full members||£80.00 – 1 person||£320|
|Up to 10 full members||£160 – 2 people||£640|
|Up to 20 full members||£320 – 4 people||£1,280|
|Up to 30 full members||£480 – 6 people||£1,920|
|Up to 40 full members||£640 – 8 people||£2,560|
|Up to 50 full members||£800 – 10 people||£3,200|
How Institutional Rates Work
- Contact the Membership Secretary to discuss the level of membership that is right for your institution
- A discounted cost will be proposed, dependent on the number of memberships you would like (see the table above)
- On approval, your institution nominates an ‘administrator’ who will be responsible for the account
- Your administrator is sent an invoice, for which payment is arranged
- On receipt of your subscription fee payment, your administrator will send a list of your members you have identified to receive CLA membership.
- Their own full accounts will be set up and they will receive a welcome email with login details.
- At the anniversary of your join-up, you will be invited to renew and, confirm your membership list for the new year (these need not be the same people each year)’.
- At the biennial conference, your organisation, through the administrator, will be invited to nominate two of your full members to cast votes for your organisation at the General meeting, where Council members are elected.